Career pivot - from project manager to developer
The assignment - front-end developer work sample
Use the TalTech geology infosystem SARV public API - https://api.geocollections.info. Choose a table and create a webapp which includes at least a general search view and a view for chosen result details. The tables to choose from: analysis, drillcore, reference, locality, sample, specimen, taxon. The database structure: https://schema.geocollections.info
- Separate routes for the search and detailed view
- At least 5 separate search fields/options
- Use a CSS framework, like Bootstrap
- Build with Vue.js
- Filtering results (equals, includes, algab jne.)
- Written summary
- Source code on Gitlab/Github
My process and submission
- Refine to technical requirements and brainstorm the initial needed components.
- Collect moodboard for UI. My favourite tool for it - Milanote
- Create UI mockup and mock brand identity. My favourite tool for it - Figma
- Set up the project and code. I went with Vue using Nuxt.js and Bootstrap.
- Publish the project on Netlify and the source code on Gitlab
- I kept track of the total time for each step. I like to use Clockify.
- The submission - https://taxosearch.netlify.app/
- The source - https://gitlab.com/mikk.villem/proovikas-taltech
All the steps along with getting to know Vue.js as I used it for the first time, the assignment took me around 16 hours to get to a state I was content with. I enjoyed the process and got a good feedback, but missed getting the position in the end. Will keep searching and applying, though.